3/4 Cup – Butter
1-3/4 Cups – All Purpose Flour
3/4 cup – Pecans, Toasted and Ground
1 tsp. – Baking Soda
1/4 tsp. – Baking Powder
2 cups – Sugar
1 4-oz. pkg. -Sweet Baking Chocolate, Chopped, Melted and Cooled
1 cup – Butter Milk
1/2 cup – Strong Coffee or Water
1 recipe – Coconut-Pecan Frosting
1. Separate eggs. Let eggs and butter stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease bottoms of three 9-inch round cake pans. Line with waxed or parchment paper; grease and flour bottoms and sides. Set aside.
2. In large mixing bowl beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; set aside. In medium bowl stir together flour, pecans, baking soda, baking powder, and 1/4 tsp. salt. In 4-quart bowl beat butter on medium-high 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar; beat until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks one at a time, beating after each. Beat in chocolate on low.
3. In bowl combine buttermilk and coffee. Alternately add with flour mixture to butter mixture; beat well after each. With spatula fold in egg whites. Spread batter in pans.
4. Bake 25 minutes or until pick inserted near centers comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes. Remove; peel off paper. Cool on wire racks.
5. Prepare Coconut-Pecan Frosting. Spread 1 cup on rounded tops of two layers. Add third layer, flat side down; spread with remaining frosting. Makes 16 servings.
6. Coconut-Pecan Frosting: In saucepan slightly beat 2 eggs. Stir in 1-1/3 cups half-and-half, 1-1/3 cups sugar, and 1/2 cup butter. Cook and stir over medium heat 10 minutes, until slightly thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat; stir in 7-oz. pkg. (2-2/3 cups) coconut and 1 cup chopped toasted pecans. Cover and cool. Makes 3-1/2 cups.
Calories 571, Total Fat 33 g, Saturated Fat 17 g, Monounsaturated Fat 11 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 4 g, Cholesterol 125 mg, Sodium 303 mg, Carbohydrate 65 g, Total Sugar 52 g, Fiber 3 g, Protein 6 g. Daily Values: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 1%, Calcium 6%, Iron 8%. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.