8 ounces – Whole Wheat Lasagna Noodles
1 pound – Lean Spicy Italian Turkey Sausage, Casings Removed (see Variation)
4 cups – Sliced mushrooms, (10 ounces)
1/4 cup – Water
1 pound – Frozen Spinach, Thawed
1 28-ounce – Can Crushed Tomatoes, Preferably Chunky
1/4 cup – Chopped Fresh Basil
1/4 tsp – Salt
Freshly Ground Pepper, to taste
1 pound – Part-Skim Ricotta Cheese, (2 cups)
8 ounces – Part-Skim Mozzarella Cheese, Shredded (about 2 cups), Divided
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add noodles and cook until not quite tender, about 2 minutes less than the package directions. Drain; return the noodles to the pot, cover with cool water and set aside.
3. Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Add sausage; cook, crumbling with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 4 minutes. Add mushrooms and water; cook, stirring occasionally and crumbling the sausage more, until it is cooked through, the water has evaporated and the mushrooms are tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Squeeze spinach to remove excess water, then stir into the pan; remove from heat.
4. Mix tomatoes with basil, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
5. To assemble lasagna: Spread 1/2 cup of the tomatoes in the prepared baking dish. Arrange a layer of noodles on top, trimming to fit if necessary. Evenly dollop half the ricotta over the noodles. Top with half the sausage mixture, one-third of the remaining tomatoes and one-third of the mozzarella. Continue with another layer of noodles, the remaining ricotta, the remaining sausage, half the remaining tomatoes and half the remaining mozzarella. Top with a third layer of noodles and the remaining tomatoes.
6. Cover the lasagna with foil and bake until bubbling and heated through, 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes. Remove the foil; sprinkle the remaining mozzarella on top. Return to the oven and bake until the cheese is just melted but not browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving. Vegetarian Variation: Use a sausage-style soy product, such as Gimme Lean, or simply omit the sausage altogether.
Calories 333, Total Fat 14 g, Saturated Fat 5 g, Monounsaturated Fat 3 g, Cholesterol 41 mg, Sodium 655 mg, Carbohydrate 28 g, Fiber 7 g, Protein 26 g, Potassium 606 mg. Daily Values: Vitamin A 128%, Calcium 23%, Iron 21%. Exchanges: Starch 1,Vegetable 1.5,Lean Meat 1,Medium-Fat Meat 2. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.